- Wear Orange! This is the official colour of the walk (and the Netherlands!).
- The registration desk opens at 4:30 p.m. and the walk starts at the sound of the “bugle” at 5:30.
- Those who complete at least three evenings and at least 20 km will receive a medal.
- For the challenging (9 km) route walkers may start between 5:30 and 6:15 p.m. and the relaxing (5 km) walkers may leave until 7:15 p.m.
- Please bring insect repellent.
1. What is the “4 Day Evening Walk”?
The goal of the 4 Day Evening Walk is to have fun! Participants come 4 evenings in a row for a leisurely evening walk. Each evening, participants choose between a relaxing or challenging route through the beautiful Dundas Valley Conservation Area. Participants can walk a different route each evening if they wish.
2. Is this a competitive event?
No. Participants proceed at their own pace. Many families bring young children or grandchildren.
3. Are there other activities?
There are yummy treats available for walkers at checkpoints along the way. Before and after the walks each evening, there will be festivities including Dutch music and food (available for purchase). There will also be face painting for the kids.
4. Will there be Dutch food this year?
There will be lots of yummy Dutch food available for purchase before and after the walk. The poffertjes vendor will be back, as well as the delicious croquettes! There will also be coffee available at the Dundas Valley Conservation Area concession.
5. Do I have to be Dutch to participate?
Of course not! Everyone is welcome. Although it is based on a Dutch tradition, we hope everyone will participate.
6. How do I earn a medal?
In order to earn a medal, a participant must walk all 4 evenings. Participants who walk 3 evenings must complete the challenging route at least one of the evenings OR walk the relaxed course twice one of the evenings in order to earn a medal (minimum of 20km).
7. Can a child under 4 earn a medal?
Children under 4 years old are not given medals. The reason for this is that the participant must walk the full 20 km on their own. (i.e. without being carried).
8. What if I can only attend 1, 2 or 3 evenings?
Walkers are welcome to attend and join in the festivities for any number of evenings. A fee of $5 applies for each night you walk.
9. Do I have to walk the same route every evening?
Participants can choose which route they would like to walk each evening. When you register, please let our volunteer know which one (challenging or relaxed route) you would like to walk that evening.
10. What if it rains?
The walk happens rain or shine! Bring an umbrella and dress for the weather. Insect repellent is also a good idea, in case trails get a little’buggy’!
11. How much is parking?
A one-time parking fee of $5 per car will apply. Subsequent nights please show ticket issued at gate on the first night. (no charge if you are a Hamilton Conservation Authority Member)
12. My question wasn’t answered here. What do I do?
Please contact us ([email protected]) and we will be happy to answer your question.